Monday, September 5, 2016

The Flying Pickets - Only The Lonely (10)

Jill: I don't like this song, I don't like how it's done - electrobop, disco, acapella, whatever. But I do quite like the idea of this lot being pop stars - I don't think they'd abuse the position or anything. I mean they're so gormy. Rose: Yeah, I suppose they're a harmless enough bunch. (Jill Bryson & Rose McDowell [Strawberry Switchblade], Smash Hits, March 28, 1985)

Shriek! Lock up your mothers. The unholy sextet have gone back in time to filch this Roy Orbison classic, the original of which is probably nestling in your mum's collection. She'll love it—and when mums start buying records we all know what happens (step forward [Elaine] Paige and [Barbara] Dickson). Meanwhile, I'll donate my copy of the record to the first person who can tell me why the lads are garbed in Red Indian gear on the cover. It's a strange enough world, without The Flying Pickets having hits.  (Paul Bursche, No 1, March 23, 1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...