Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Robert Plant - Big Log (WEA)

Even more moody and magnificent than The Police [with "Wrapped Around Your Finger"], Robert Plant's return to centre stage is something of a shocker. I was quite unable to appreciate it on first hearing as I was hiding in the corner, expecting a battery of drums to come crashing in at any moment. They never do and, once my nerves had recovered, I was able to soothe myself back into shape with this folky lament. Mr. Plant returns, a model of restraint, and he's welcome at my house for the first time in a decade. (Mark Cooper, No 1, July 16, 1983)

For the man whose voice could shatter windows in New York whilst Led Zeppelin were playing in London, this is quite a pleasant surprise. Robert's vocal is majestic and warm, the guitar work (liberally sprinkled with what sounds like bum notes) refreshing and kind of Latin, and there's a great bassline. Not trendy but highly classy. (Deborah Steels, Smash Hits, July 21, 1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...