Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly (Parlophone)

This has a good chorus and it's very catchy - a good follow-up to "West End Girls". I hope they have a crappy looking video again because I liked that - Jonathan King slagged it off as cheap and horrible, the most appalling video ever made, but I thought it was simple, straight to the point, and I really liked the moody guy in it. It's funny reviewing a single sung by someone who used to interview us - I should be getting my own back. The runner-up single of the fortnight, I suppose. (Dave Gahan [Depeche Mode], Smash Hits, February 26, 1986)

If this is the best they can do fame is going to go as quickly as love comes. A weak follow-up to a Number One single, this is high on Giorgio Moroder atmosphere, but has weedy vocals so soft you have to strain to hear the words. Suffice to say that if this had been their first single nobody would have made such an almighty effort to find out what the real meaning of the name Pet Shop Boys is. (Pat Thomas, No 1, March 1, 1986)

Eyes bright and tails wagging, the Pet Shop Boys trot away from the haunting mystery of "West End Girls" and produce a tender swirling epic topped with a delicate vocal refrain. Not as instant as "West End Girls", but very smooth and powerful. It's starting to occupy a bigger place in my heart than even Chaka Khan's "Ain't Nobody". Single Of The Week. (Robin Smith, Record Mirror, March 1, 1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...