Thursday, September 1, 2016

Depeche Mode - People Are People (Mute)

This time they've gone all radical with a distinctly metallic sound. But instead of jarring the nerves it tends to induce movement in bodies that normally wouldn't be seen dead on a dance floor. The lyrics are good, too - about "getting along awfully" and not understanding hate. Makes a change from all this unrequited love business. Easily their best yet and this harder direction is bound to spawn bags of imitators. (Peter Martin, Smash Hits, March 15, 1984)

Another one from the pessimists of pop! The lyrical content's always a bit outrageous - 'we got along so awfully' - I really laughed the first time that came on. They always seem to have one of these lines that make me laugh and I can't take the record seriously from then on. The production's pretty groovy, there's plenty of things flying around. But ever since Vince left, they've been doing these serious lyrics and they always use very obvious words to say intelligent things, and this is a good example. I think I saw their first ever gig, 'cos I used to go down to Croc's in Rayleigh, where we did our first gig, and I've followed them ever since. They made it before we did and I was in the area and well aware of their success, and there was one stage when I'd just joined Culture Club and Vince left Depeche and I was tempted to join! But I had faith in Culture Club! (Roy Hay [Culture Club], Record Mirror, March 17, 1984)

Depeche Mode singles are often their own worst enemies. On first hearing, their simple synthesised tunes and Dave Gahan's stiff-necked vocals can seem plain and familiar. It's only after a few plays that the subtle melodies and rhythms begin to come through. "People Are People" is not as cynical as "Everthing Counts", but it's just as worldly-wise - the killer being the sub-chorus: "I can't understand. . ." A good one for the next time we take to the terraces in Paris. (Paul Simper, No 1, March 17, 1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...