Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Wham! - I'm Your Man (Epic)

I must say, I do like the cut of George Michael's jib. What usually happens once you've become the world's most famous rising pop star is you get complacent and start making useless records, or you go dotty and stop making records altogether. Not George. George cares about pop for too much to let himself become distracted just yet. He's passionate about pop and he's good at it too: not a great songwriter but a stylish "craftsman" and a marvellous singer. On "I'm Your Man" he comes on all breathy and slippery in a racy pumping romp that's a little bit Motown and quite a lot George McCrae. A dignified hit: G. Michael is a proper star. (Not entirely sure what Andrew does on this but, no doubt, he does it very well too). (Tom Hibbert, Smash Hits, November 6, 1986)

I don't own a crystal ball anymore but I suppose "I'm Your Man" will get to Number One. However, the first Wham! single this year doesn't have the snap, crackle and pop of "Go-Go" or the sheer cheek of "Freedom"'s Motown rip-off. To these ears it's a rather pale re-write of "Freedom" with a weedy sax. Perhaps George is working too hard. (Adrian Tierney-Jones, No 1, November 16, 1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...