Monday, July 10, 2017

King - Won't You Hold My Hand Now (CBS)

An obvious follow-up this. I reviewed 'Hold My Hand' first time round and although it's been fiddled with a bit it still sounds the best King single yet let out of The Tower. More raunchy than "Love And Pride", the boys use both their boots and guitars to kick ass. Of course I knew they were going to make it all along... (Paul Simper, No 1, March 16, 1985)

Though they've yet to produce a classic 45, the boys from Coventry have certainly tried their hand at just about every musical style in the book. "Love & Pride" was a ska-based Gary Glitter/Jobriath gallop, "Soul On My Boots" was Culture Club on amphetamine ... and this here disc is like a mutant Shadows gone haywire. However thin and lifeless King may appear, you can't get the damn tunes out of your head. (Dylan Jones, Record Mirror, October 20, 1984)

Ah ha - a hot property! King have finally got the success they believed themselves worthy of and Paul's become a sex symbol. Swoon! As for this, it's more forceful than "Love And Pride" - stronger where that seemed to have great gaps in the mix, more controlled, less boppy and very very professional. Re-mixed to squeaky clean perfection. I'm going to stick my neck out here... I think it might be a hit. (Eleanor Levy, Record Mirror, March 16, 1985)

It's catchy but I think the instruments drown his voice too much. Probably a hit but not as big as "Love And Pride". I do like this group and the song is good but the chorus is very boring. (Marshall O'Leary, Smash Hits, March 14, 1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...