Thursday, July 20, 2017

Wham! - Freedom (Epic)

Ever since I gave "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" a less than rave review, Wham! have apparently been saying that I was "out to get them". Not true. As their past releases (and, indeed, "Careless Whisper") show, Wham! have a tremendous spark of talent. I just don't think they're using it very well. With records like this weedy, uninspiring Motown-derived effort, I reckon they're aiming far too low. Take some risks, boys. You can afford to. Still, although this sounds like The Truth on a wet afternoon, it will undoubtedly be a hit. Such is life. (Dave Rimmer, Smash Hits, September 13, 1984)

"I don't want your freedom/I don't want to play round/I don't want nobody babe/Part-time love just brings me down." The bad boys have changed their tune in more ways than one. Now it's the girl who wants the freedom to fool around, and George isn't too keen on the idea. Like 'Wake Me Up', 'Freedom' is unashamedly lightweight and catchy. It bounces and swings along in masterly fashion and after two hearings you'll be singing it in the street. OK, so it may not be the toughest, most essential dance record of the week, but it's a cleverly crafted pop song which blends Motown with The Four Seasons and a touch of Bay City Rollers (ask your mum) .. . (Karen Swayne, No 1, September 22, 1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...