Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops (4AD)

The Cocteau Twins are a band I've never really listened to and I feel that maybe I've missed out on something. Elizabeth Fraser's voice appeals to me in a way that I like very much. This is a great record and is definitely Single Of The Fortnight. (Dave Gahan [Depeche Mode], Smash Hits, April 26, 1984)

This record harks back even further [than singer-songwriters in the '70s] - to the late '60s or early '70s forsooth. It's a hurdygurdy of positively hippyish sounds. Very attractive for all that, this has layers of old-fashioned guitars and Elizabeth Fraser's yearning voice is well-deployed. File next to "Dear Prudence" and your patchouli joss-sticks. (Sunie, No 1, April 21, 1984)

The darlings of the spikey mohican brigade, aren't they? I quite like it and it's a very nice sleeve. It's quite middle of the road in a way, I'm sure my mum would like it but it won't be a hit. Not as good as "Song To The Siren". (Bobby Bluebell [The Bluebells], Record Mirror, April 21, 1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...