Thursday, August 25, 2016

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Swimming Horses (Polydor)

Here is the opportunity for Mike Read to prove he's quite a liberal sort of guy after all. "He gives birth to swimming horses," sings Siouxsie, and you don't have to be too imaginative to realise we're talking about Frankie's little come hither. Musically this is a much lighter touch for the Banshees. None of those psychedelic guitars - just a simple, lilting refrain. So go on, Mike, give it a go! (Paul Simper, No 1, March 17, 1984)

I hope this grows on me because I don't think much of it up to now. It's got a sort of staccato piano rhythm backing Siouxsie's powerfully gliding voice and it's all punctuated by a scratchy echoey guitar, much like the one on "Israel". I suppose it fits in well on the new album, but by itself I think it's one of their weakest singles yet. And for Heaven's sake don't ask me what "he gives birth to swimming horses" means. (Peter Martin, Smash Hits, March 15, 1984)

When it first came on I thought - Siouxsie and the Banshees, piano? Nah, it can't be. But it was. Haven't got much to say about this one. They're probably the sort of band that beat you up if you slag them off! (Roy Hay [Culture Club], Record Mirror, March 17, 1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...