Friday, July 29, 2016

U2 - Two Hearts Beat As One (Island)

Fast, furious, very dense and carried out with de rigeur anger. I quite like the guitar that sounds as if it's being sawn in half but otherwise it lacks either high or low points. I know all about their massive Irish following but I can't help feeling U2 take themselves more seriously than anyone else does. (Kimberley Leston, Smash Hits, March 31, 1983)

A ferocious record savagely splintered by the very best rock guitar. Minimal. "Two Hearts" makes a brave attempt at being both aggressive and dancefloor, but unfortunately melodramatic vocals and pedestrian tub thumping snatch a last minute away goal for the opposition. I don't really like U2, but if they make a few more records in this vein, they may yet get to twist my arm. (Jim Reid, Record Mirror, March 26, 1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...