Sunday, October 22, 2017

Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner (A&M)

Hmm, not sure if it's a good idea to promote an artist by putting out acapella songs about cafes on 112th Street and Broadway in Britain just yet. If you like Vega, and I do in measured doses, then you'll be able to pretend to enjoy this without dying of terminal embarrassment but otherwise it defines twee in naked single format. While we're on the subject of new folk, and we're not, Jennifer Warnes' version of Leonard Cohen's 'First We Take Manhattan' (reviewed last week) is tremendous, as Mike Gatting would say. By comparison this is like doing the quick crossword in the Evening Standard. Not very stimulating. (Max Bell, No 1, July 18, 1987)

T: I can't believe she's released this, I mean it's such an odd choice.
A: Yeah, I agree, I like Suzanne Vega but this one doesn't do her a lot of favours.
J: What is she playing at? Halfway through I thought nothing was going to happen - and I was right!
(All About Eve, Record Mirror, July 18, 1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...