Saturday, October 21, 2017

Nick Kamen - Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever (WEA)

I don't know about you, but I always preferred the bloke in the bath in those Levi's ads. Much less obvious than Mr Kamen - but then the charts are full of 'obvious' acts at the moment and Nick fits into this as perfectly as those dinky little boxer shorts of his. Making use of Spandau Ballet's one sax solo, it's soft disco that reminds you of a million other tacky dance greats. Pre-packaged for party time! As stylish as the man who's singing it. And take that as you will. (Eleanor Levy, Record Mirror, February 21, 1987)

I hated his last one but I heard it so often it sort of grew on me. Here he's covered a classic song (originally done by legendary Motown soul act The Four Tops) and killed it. His voice is really dodgy. I don't think models should try and be singers. Let's face it, he's made it just 'cos he's got a pretty face. My dad's mate is a really brilliant singer and he's been trying for years to get a record contract and he can't get one. I think it's unfair. But the charts are all about novelty really ain't they? I mean, I think it's out of order that records by the EastEnders lot get to Number One. Mind you I can't talk! The Grange Hill records I sang on were bloody awful. I don't know how they got into the charts either. Makes you wonder dunnit? (Lee MacDonald, No 1, February 21, 1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...