Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Swing Out Sister - Twilight World (Mercury)

Once you get to the 'Twilight world' hook this is OK but the first 30 seconds were really horrible. The production sounds so clean that it shows up a couple of really awful flat notes. I have to be careful about this band because Corinne's grandmother wrote to me around the time of "Breakout" and was almost threatening me if I didn't play it because I come from the same area as her. "Breakout" was a good single but I'm yet to be convinced by her voice. A hit only because of what's gone before, but they're not what I'd call an established band so they'll have to do better stuff than this if they want to last out the year. (Simon Mayo, No 1, April 11, 1987)

Fast becoming a band to reckon with, even if it is all a bit 1982, maaan. Classy, and has no great 'soul bro' pretentions, unlike some others I could mention. A bit like Marvin Gaye meets Astrud Gilberto. (Nancy Culp, Record Mirror, April 11, 1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...